Root dataset analysis

Hi! So, I read ROOT primer and about to complete ROOT manual and ,I have 2 questions about dataset provided in the form of ROOT files.
Firstly, given a root file in open-data, how to carry out analysis with it ? Is there any tutorial or some course that took place in the past?
Secondly, where to find information about the dataset semantics provided as the one given in the site along with dataset does not seems so clear ?
I’m attaching the link for the dataset I currently want to work on and , the image of some of the dataset semantics to clear what I am asking.
http://opendata.cern.ch/record/12220

Hi! Many thanks for your interest in CMS open data.

The CMS open data are mostly datasets in the format in which they were used in analysis within the CMS collaboration. We have organized workshops to facilitate their use, the most recent one in July 2023.

You can also find some guidance in the CMS open data guide.

The file that you are referring to is not a standard CMS collision or simulated dataset, but a derived dataset for data science purposes. You can find a link to an example notebook if you scroll down to the bottom of the record page.

Hope this helps!

Best, Kati
for the CMS open data team

1 Like

Correcting a link in the previous reply: the latest workshop was Fermilab: July 11-14, 2023

1 Like