Error response from daemon: pull access denied for 3813b5241687, repository does not exist or may require ‘docker login’

When I use docker in my laptop it seems to pull cmsopendata/cmssw_5_3_32 correctly.
But an undergrad was trying it in her laptop and it says Error response from daemon: pull access denied for 3813b5241687, repository does not exist or may require ‘docker login’. Has anyone seen a similar issue?

After googling the error, it seems that error frequently comes up when someone is trying to access an image that does not exist (so it is probable misspell). Can she pull the hello-world image correctly?

docker run hello-world

what is the need of using docker to pull cms image. it’s already there in the virtual cms set up. the cms shell i mean

Hi @uzzielperez - there is no authentication needed to pull these images. However, if one has Docker set up with outdated authentication information or authentication information for a different container registry, this might happen. Can you try to remove $HOME/.docker/config.json (Mac/Linux) or %HOME%\.docker\config.json (Windows) and try again?

1 Like

Hello @susmita-sbhaduri - it would be best to create a new topic/thread for this question if you would like to discuss it further. The docker image is an alternative to the virtual machine image and both have their own advantages. Docker images can be used for batch processing in an easier way than the VM and e.g. also on Kubernetes. The VM might be an easier entrypoint to get started.

thanks for the information.i would try the way you have suggested.

hey @clange , I had encoutered similar error. I did run this $HOME/.docker/config.json but I’m getting permission denied:

Hi @brunda5 , not sure if you had intended to attach a screenshot. If so, it doesn’t show. If you get permission denied when trying to delete the file, you might have to check the file permissions itself or you could try to delete the file using sudo:

sudo rm $HOME/.docker/config.json

1 Like